Monday, November 8, 2010

And while He lives, I'll sing!

In case you don't already know, I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the Mormons. Each Sunday in November, as part of NaBloPoMo, I'm going to discuss some things related to my faith and what I believe. Regardless of your own beliefs, I hope this gives you a chance to get to know me and my religion a little better.


I was baptized shortly after I turned eight years old. We believe that baptism by immersion is symbolic of being washed clean of sin and covenanting with God that we will keep His commandments and, in turn, He will bless us with all that He has.

At least that's the basic idea, and that's what I would remind myself of when partaking of the Sacrament (which is the opportunity to renew our baptismal covenants in a manner symbolic of the death and Atonement of Jesus Christ).

Then I re-read the actual baptismal covenants as found in Mosiah 18:8-10 in The Book of Mormon, emphasis mine.
8 And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are adesirous to come into the bfold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;

9 Yea, and are awilling to mourn with those that bmourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as cwitnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the dfirst resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—
10 Now I say unto you, if this be the desire of your hearts, what have you against being abaptized in the bname of the Lord, as a witness before him that ye have entered into a ccovenant with him, that ye will serve him and keep his commandments, that he may pour out his Spirit more abundantly upon you?

There is so much more than I remembered! Both the promises we make and the promises the Lord makes are more specific than just "keep the commandments" and "receiving His blessings," and wonderfully so. There is so much more to do, but the blessings are so much greater as a result. There is so much to look forward to!

With that sentiment, the scripture immediately following this seemed so perfect.
11 And now when the people had heard these words, they clapped their hands for joy, and exclaimed: This is the desire of our hearts.
That's exactly how I feel! When I was standing in the font, waiting for my dad to begin the ordinance, I was bouncing up and down on my toes I was so excited! And, fortunately, I still am.

Living this gospel makes me happy.

1 comment:

Giggles said...

I kind of think we over simplify a lot of things. And in doing so we lose a lot of the beauty and meaning to them.

It certainly is something to clap for joy about.