Monday, July 4, 2011

The Wise Man Built His House Upon the Rock

I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the Mormons. Each Sunday, I discuss some things related to my faith and what I believe. Regardless of your own beliefs, I hope this gives you a chance to get to know me and my religion a little better. For previous installments, click here.

Over a year ago, at least, a house on my street burned down. It was a tragic, early morning fire wherein two men died, and I can only imagine how the family must have grieved. A few, maybe several, months later, insurance and fire investigations must have been complete as the remains of the house were torn down and a new foundation was started.

And that's all that was there for another long set of months. I have to pass this house everyday and everyday I wondered if they'd done anything at all to the house, as any changes were imperceptible to my untrained eye. 

Then one day this week, I passed the house early in the morning on my way to and from the gym - nothing. A bit later, I drove by on my way to work and there were a few new trucks on the street that looked like walls, or windows maybe? Finally! Progress!

Little did I know just what the contractors had planned. I almost got into an accident that evening, as the lot now looked like this:

Not just frame and flooring, as I was expecting, but an actual house! With walls AND windows! All that time with just a foundation and now this beautiful building has sprung up in one day.

And I got to thinking about the foundations in our lives. If we, too, take the time to build a solid, sturdy foundation in our beliefs, relationships, and our lives in general, anything we build on top of it can go up even more quickly then we'd ever imagine and will be stronger for it. 

In the gospel of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, our foundation is Jesus Christ.

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon thearock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your bfoundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty cstorm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall. (Helaman 5:12)

Believing in Him has truly given me the foundation I need to get through the hard things in life. Sometimes I may feel like I'm headed for rock bottom, but as I do, He is there to catch me and lift me back up. For that, I am truly blessed. 

1 comment:

Giggles said...

I like what you've said about the foundations in our lives. But I also can't help but wondering when they'll truck in my "house." :)