Friday, July 1, 2011

The Song of Purple Summer

One of my favorite books as a kid was the Lois Lowry novel Attaboy Sam! A chapter book about a 4 year old boy seems an unlikely favorite for a pre-teen girl, but there you have it. At one point in the story, Sam's mother gives herself a buzz cut, for no other reason than to do something a little crazy. She suggests that to get oneself out of a sadness or a funk, they should do something a little out of the ordinary to shake things up and help them feel better.

For the last week or so, I've been in such a mood. Now, I didn't buzz my head (I have to be SERIOUSLY sad to consider that), but I did color it purple.
 And I'm in love, and I even feel a little better because of it. Purple victory rolls? Yes, please!

 What do you do to pick yourself up?

6 comments:

Myrna said...

I love Lois Lowry! And Sam is Anastasia's little brother, so you have to love that book. Have you read Anastasia at this address? Laugh out loud funny!

I never thought of having purple hair, but it does remind me of a poem:

I never saw a purple cow.
I never hope to see one.
But I can tell you anyhow
I'd rather see than be one.
(Gelett Burgess, 1895)

LeAnn said...

Love the pictures and the book sounds sweet.
Blessings to you!

Giggles said...

Things I do to pick myself up:
- get outside
- craft something
- cross things off my to-do list
- yoga
- drink more water
- journal
- read certain old journals
- blog
- talk to people
- music
- bubble baths
- clean the house (I feel more organized and settled in an organized and settled space)

Emmaleigh504 said...

LOVE the purple victory rolls!

I usually color my hair to shake things up. I'm seriously considering pink.

Emmaleigh504 said...

When my hair grows (I chopped it off not too long ago), will you please teach me how to do victory rolls?

AmandaStretch said...

Myrna - I haven't! I really ought to, because I love Lois Lowry.

LeAnn - Thank you!

Giggles - Also excellent suggestions.

Emmaleigh - Thanks! I most certainly will! They're surprisingly easy.