Monday, July 18, 2011

God Bless Our Prophet Dear

I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the Mormons. Each Sunday, I discuss some things related to my faith and what I believe. Regardless of your own beliefs, I hope this gives you a chance to get to know me and my religion a little better. For previous installments, click here.


6We believe in the same aorganization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, bprophetscpastorsdteachers,eevangelists, and so forth. (AoF 1:6)

Most Christians, Jews, and even Muslims believe in prophets of ancient days - Moses, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Mohammed. As Mormons, we believe in current, latter-day prophets. The man called as President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is also called as prophet, seer, and revelator. To date, there have been sixteen of these men, with President Thomas S. Monson currently filling that role.

But what does that mean?

By definition, a prophet is one who testifies of Jesus Christ, makes known God's will and character, and denounce sin and warn of its consequences.

A revelator is one who receives communication from God regarding His will for His children, including guidance, chastisement, and anything else the Lord needs us to know.

A seer can prophecy of future events, or is simply one with extraordinary moral and spiritual insight.

But can't many people testify of Christ, receive revelation, and possess such insight?

Of course!

However, only one man is ordained to be the prophet, seer, and revelator for the entire Church and even the world. The other members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles have priesthood keys to also act as such, but they must do us under the guidance of the President of the Church. A bishop may receive revelation for his ward/congregation, a father for his family, or a person for themselves, but only President Monson is ordained to receive and prophecy for us all.

2 comments:

LeAnn said...

I alway enjoy your testimony of the different aspects of the gospel. I think you are a great blogging missionary. Keep it up and blessings to you!

Giggles said...

Reading this I had the brief thought - can you imagine if President Monson had to receive all revelation for everyone's personal lives? That would be crazy! I am grateful for his worldwide guidance, but I'm also grateful that I have my own small direct line of revelation.