Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What does it mean? What does it MEAN!?

Over two years ago, when I was still living in Orem, UT, one of my best friends and I discovered a necklace hanging on his front doorknob. When it was still there a couple days later, he told me to just take it. So I did and I still wear it often. The necklace is a black cord with a Chinese character as the charm.


I'm fond of the Asian culture and have a vaguely Asian decorating motif in my house now, so it's fitting. The only problem? I had no idea what it meant. I was asked by someone one in every four times that I wore it and I never knew the answer.

Until yesterday!

I was talking to couple of friends at church, wearing the necklace, and one of them randomly pointed to my neck and said "What's with mouse?" Suddenly remembering that he spoke Chinese I answered "Oh! Is that what it means!?!?" He replied, "You didn't know? I thought maybe it had some significance like you were born in the year of the mouse or something." "No! I mean I didn't know, but yes! I was born in the year of the rat, or mouse! Or whatever. THANK YOU!" I threw my arms around his neck and thanked him profusely.

Totally made my day.

5 comments:

Kristin said...

That's awesome! And now you know!

chosha said...

It's a cool coincidence that you were wearing your own zodiac sign.

My sister rang me once to tell her what a character meant...AFTER having it tattooed just behind her right shoulder. She was lucky. It WAS the character for harmony like the guy said it was.

Nancy said...

How's that for a happy ending.

I think it's brave to wear something when you don't know what it means. You never know what could happen.

Emily said...

i never even knew the story of how you got that necklace. it just seems like you've had it forever.

Jasmine said...

What are the odds!

I love the asian-influenced decorating, too. I've always been fascinated with those cultures.