Friday, November 18, 2011

Said he was a cowboy when he was young

Do you remember your great-grandparents? What do you know about them?

Only my mom's mom's parents and dad's mom's mom were living when I was born. I met all of them - I definitely remember meeting Grandma and Grandpa Law and there is a picture of me with Gammie. Grandma and Grandpa Law died between when I was 18 months and 3 or 4 years old, I believe. I remember going over to Grandma's once and that she was sitting on the couch in the living room. I have vague memories of one of their funerals and being lifted over the casket to give them a kiss. Gammie died shortly after we visited her when I was about 9 months old.

I honestly don't know a lot about any of my great grandparents. I'll share what I can think of and then beg my grandparents and parents (who read this here blog) to either comment with more stories or email them to me. 

Paternal Great-grandparents 

Dad's Paternal Grandparents

I know nothing about Dad's paternal grandmother, except that he must have had one. His paternal grandfather, however, was one of the youngest of 17 children! These people weren't even Mormon! That side of the family is from Iowa - we even have a street named after our family in Des Moines. My grandpa was Edwin H., Junior, so great-grandpa must have been Edwin H., Senior.

Dad's Maternal Grandparents 

Dad's named for his maternal grandfather as Dad's first and middle names are his grandpa's middle and last names, respectively. His maternal grandmother is Gammie. They're from California. 

Maternal Great-grandparents

Mom's Paternal Grandparents 

Jesso Milo and Ella lived in Southern Utah. I don't remember what Grandpa did for work, but the town that family calls home is definitely a cowboy town. If I didn't miss anyone in the mental list I just made, they had 8 kids - 2 girls, 6 boys.

Mom's Maternal Grandparents 

Vernon and Winona lived in Northern Utah - Cache Valley. Grandma quilted and knitted. They had 7 children - a boy who died in infancy and six girls. They both wore glasses. One of Mom's favorite pictures from her wedding is one of her with Grandpa in front of the temple.

Wow. I clearly have some work to do and people to learn/remember more about!

1 comment:

Myrna said...

How fortunate you were to meet some of your great-grandparents. I only knew three of my grandparents, but my dad's father died when I was two. My mom's father died when I was six, and he was in his nineties at that time. So most of my growing up years, I only had one grandma. Not a great-grandparent to be seen.