Friday, May 30, 2008

We spotted the ocean

For Memorial Day, I took my car on its maiden voyage down to the Outer Banks, NC, to join a thousand of my closest LDS single friends for our annual trip. It seems that most of the singles on the East Coast are there, and a handful come from the rest of the country. It really is great fun. A lot of new friends are made, it's culturally acceptable to run around half-naked, and nothing beats relaxing on the beach for three days, unless you're one of the lucky people who can stay the whole week.

For the first time since 2004, I had an excellent birthday. Birthday wishes, hugs, spanks, and love galore! It's great fun to have 60 people sing "Happy Birthday" to you. Thanks to Gonzo for letting me hint heavily for three weeks that my birthday was going to happen at the beach, and to Smash for letting me steal the extra frosting. Also, if one must go to church on their birthday, it's great to have just one meeting. And, if there is a fireside later, it's best when it's brief, on the beach facing the surf, and in one's swimsuit. Technically, I was in a skirt. Finally, I started winning matches on "Guitar Hero" on this day and it was suggested that I start playing on Medium. Then, I failed miserably on another song, and it was agreed I could play on Easy for a bit longer.

I also realized that being the birthday girl, and being on the beach, allows one to be unabashed flirt. I flirted like crazy this weekend. Moreso than I've felt up to in a long time. Usually, I tire of it if there is no reciprocation and others are competing for the same person's attention. Neither problem really occurred. Most of those I flirted with flirted back, and I really wasn't competing with anyone, at least at the same time. It was great fun! I even scored some hammock time with someone. Woohoo!

The weather was perfect, my friends (both old and new) are amazing, and I couldn't have asked for a better weekend. I got tons of compliments on my car, and I love it even more than I did last week. We all secretly (or not-so-secretly) hope that we won't be there next year, because we'll be engaged or married. There are 361 days before the next Memorial Day, so it's entirely possible. Still, if I'm not married, spending another birthday and a long weekend on the beach with people I love sounds like a great alternative.

No comments: