Friday, May 23, 2008

Nobody likes you when you're 23

I'm turning 24 on Sunday. I actually really like birthdays, despite the fact that my last three all have very negative associations with them (breaking up, losing a job, car breaking down during a rush hour), and I'm looking forward to this one. I can't think of a single thing that could go wrong on that day, and what can beat a birthday with great friends on the beach?

Still, it does bring a change, of sorts. I will be in my mid-twenties, instead of my early twenties. This a marker that I'm inching ever closer to 30. Also, being young as I am and accomplishing the things that I am has always been a source of pride. This won't suddenly change when I'm 24, but, in my mind, it's not as impressive. Other people still think it is. I was talking to an auto insurance agent today and he was really amazed at everything I was doing/have done, especially compared to my peers. I love hearing that.

I do look a lot older than I did just a few years ago. To me, my face has aged quite a lot in the last five years. This could be from some of the stress I've dealt with, free radicals in the air, and just generally getting older. It's not like I look like I'm 50, but I certainly think I look more mature than I used to.

Surprisingly enough, just two weeks ago, I was asked if I was a student at the high school this person and I were at. Then, the very next day, find out that another friend thought I was closer to his age, which is 30. It's actually kind of fun.

So, not much is going to change when I can flip another year on my personal calendar, but it does require a certain amount of reflection. This last year has been really good for me, and I can only expect more great things in the year to come!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

...in my head, i'm 24...

Hey, you've accomplished a lot no matter HOW old you are. And this birthday should be amazing! The universe owes you one. :)

AmandaStretch said...

Thanks Frannie!