Friday, November 23, 2007

Gobble gobble goo and gobble gobble giggle

The requisite post for things I'm grateful for is found here, on my all too neglected gratitude blog.

I love the holiday season. It's full of tradition, remembrance, great food, and surrounding yourself with loved ones. Unfortunately, as a single person, with my closest family being 700 miles away, it can also be one of the toughest times of the year. As I'm writing this, I know that my parents and siblings are probably watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and putting together final preparations for the big dinner. They might be laughing about the time that J got up really, really early one year and was distraught because he thought he'd missed the parade. Mom found him flipping channels when she got up to start the turkey.

Obviously, I'm not home, and I wish I was. I love and miss my family like crazy.

I'm still going to have a great holiday. I get to have dinner with the family of my "nephew" - his parents and some of their extended family. I'm looking forward to it, and I'm very grateful that I have someone to share this day with.

That's one of the cool things about friends. They're the family you get to pick. Not everyone is as lucky as I am to have a wonderful, real family. But I also have wonderful friends. People who care about me because I'm me, not because I have the same DNA.

Overall, I'm really grateful for the people in my life, family and friends alike. Life isn't worth living without them.

Happy Thanksgiving! Have an amazing and safe holiday!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

And I'm grateful for YOU and glad you had "family" to spend the day with. :)