Friday, September 14, 2007

I'm not a real doctor, but I am a re-al worm

Last night's concert was awesome! Smash and I, with our unintentionally matching hair, enjoyed every minute of it. (Okay, so I didn't enjoy being stuck in traffic for two hours, smelling of cigarette smoke, or the drunk people behind us, but these things can be overlooked.)


There was an excellent mix of old and new songs. I probably knew 75% of the music they played. They were hyping their new album, which I've only heard one song from, but they still had a lot of things I did know. For a career spanning twenty years, that's not bad. I danced and sang along throughout the main set and two encores. I L-O-V-E their music.


The Johns are hilarious. They interact so well, and get the rest of the band involved too. They did a bit where they took phone calls from dead people. So, John F. went backstage and called in as Edgar Allan Poe. He said that the show had inspired him and convinced John L. to let him read a poem he just wrote. He started his poem, and we slowly realized he was very seriously quoting Metallica's Enter Sandman. The lead guitarist, Dan Miller, pointed it out first, but everyone kept a straight face and then John L. accused "Edgar Allan Poe" of being a phony. Good times.


As we were driving to the concert, and pulling into the parking garage, we saw the tour bus. John L. was standing right by it and then headed toward the building. We weren't totally sure it was him, but he was wearing the same shirt onstage. Alas, they were not out yet when we left.


I had a fantastic time, and really enjoyed being with Smash. If you get a chance to see this group - go! This is my second time seeing them, and most likely not my last.


However, if you can't go to a concert, here are some pictures that make you feel like you're right there. Or not.

1 comment:

Smashie Smasherton said...

I still want to know whose disembodied head that was!