Monday, September 10, 2012

Do You Love Me? (Do Ya Love Me?) (Love Story Part 2)

Our First Date

That Friday, after important discussions like licorice preference and dream travel destinations, Blake asked if I would like to see The Hunger Games the next day...

I was quite bold about this.  I believe I said “I’m going to go to see Hunger Games tomorrow, want to come along?”  I then left to get food from McDonalds.

Knowing I liked this guy and having been on several outings with other young men that were planned, paired off, and paid off but still somehow not clearly a date, I asked. “I would love to, but out of curiosity. Is this a date?”

Waiting between the drive-thru order box and the pick-up window is not the time or place that one would expect to make life altering decisions.  Yet, moments before I was to pick up my McDoubles, here comes the Facebook notification with that message.  The pressure was on: if I say yes, would that be too sudden?  If I said no, would she think I wasn’t interested?  Where is my food?  It was a moment of decision making, and when that moment arrives, you’ve got to do what you gotta do.

Fortunately, he said that he normally doesn’t ask girls out for the first time via Facebook, but that yes, as he had asked me and was planning to pay, it was a date, if I wouldn’t mind. I most certainly did not. We finally exchanged numbers and made our plans.

The afternoon of Saturday, May 5th, I arrived at his house (I was coming from a bridal shower and he lived closer to the theater anyway) and we were on our way! Turns out The Hunger Games is better when you don’t have a raging headache like I had the first time and a cute boy is holding your hand.

Speaking of licorice, our first and primary disagreement remains that I like black licorice and she does not.  On that first date she brought a tub of Trader Joe’s black licorice, the first time I’d had a girl bring a gift on the first date.  I was quite amused.  As for the handholding, that’s another thing I never do on first dates.  But it seemed like a good idea at the time, so with all the smoothness of a 9th grader I coyly examined her ring mid movie, then just didn’t let go afterward.

It was definitely a good idea. We were peckish after the film, so he took me to the restaurant of my choice - Bilbo Baggins in Old Town Alexandria - and I got to witness his first ever parallel parking in a personal vehicle. He did great, and I was even able to crawl over to his side to get out because he parked right next to a tree.

As silly as this might sound, parallel parking a school bus isn’t as hard as you might think, and I found myself wishing I had my bus mirrors during that whole uncomfortable ordeal.  I’m not sure if a girl has ever dumped a date because of their inability to parallel park, but I wasn’t keen on being the first.

Dinner was delicious, the company delightful, and conversation easy. It was definitely the beginning of a wonderful thing!



Not our first date, but not too long after
Part 1 Part 3

No comments: