Monday, August 16, 2010

All By Myself

I love having my own little apartment, all to myself. I know to some people it sounds reclusive or lonely, and maybe it is sometimes, but most of the time it's really perfect for my current situation.

Most of the time.

There are certain problems with living all by my lonesome.

For example:

Missing things - I'm highly organized and fairly predictable with where I put things, so anything going missing can be really disconcerting. Recently found - large whisk, angled makeup brush. Still missing - tape measure, one red flat (that's a shoe, boys). Where could they possibly be?

Stuck/broken zippers - I know Eilonwy will laugh about this, but I just got absolutely stuck in a zipper again. The skirt fit, but the zipper broke just as I finished zipping it up, and rendered it both unwearable and unzippable. Fortunately, my visiting teacher arrived as I was fighting with it, but she couldn't get it to move either. So I seam ripped my way out of it as we talked. Whatever works, right?

No divvying up of chores - If I want something cleaned/cooked/folded, I have to do it myself. Even for a small apartment, this can still be a lot of cleaning/cooking/folding.

The mess is always yours - I can see three pairs of shoes that should be put away from where I'm sitting. And they're all mine. I can't make anyone else put them away.

No one to talk to - I like being in charge of when I interact with other people, and not be surprised by roommate's friends I wasn't expecting. But sometimes, no one answers their phone or is online when I am in a social mood.

No one to hang out with - Again, I like knowing who is going to be in my house when, but sometimes there is no one here when I want them to be.

Only decision maker - This definitely can be a good thing, but just as one example - 3 meals a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. I love cooking and food, but it gets old deciding what to eat all the time!

Fortunately, the good outweighs the bad, and I still love my home!

On a related note, this video and poem is awesome, click through if the frame gets cut off:

2 comments:

Giggles said...

You're right. I laughed.

I keep a running list of all the things I've lost. That way I know when I've found something on it. If I'd stop moving I'm sure I'd find a few more things.

And for as much of an introvert as I am, there were times when I really wanted to talk to someone but nobody was on-line. Of course if I'd slept at night rather than hoping my friends would be up at 3am too that might not have been such a problem.

AmandaStretch said...

If only your 3 AM hadn't been my 5 or 6 AM for the last four years, I would have been. :)