Thursday, August 30, 2007

Hugs



One of my favorite things in the world is hugging. It can be a great comfort, a greeting, a goodbye, or a just a sign of affection. I really enjoy hugs, and can never seem to get enough. It's one thing I miss about being close to my family, and I'll occasionally find myself physically craving a good hug.

That said, if you think about it, hugs are kind of weird. Once upon a time, someone had to look at someone else and think "Let's see. If I put my arms here, and they put they're arms there, and we pull each other close and squeeze, what would that be like?"

Whoever that person was - I thank you! Mostly. I could have done without the weirdness of the following:

#1

I really like my boss most of the time. We work together well, and he's always looking out for me. I don't see him often, which is also kind of nice. About a month ago, right around my one year jobiversary, we went out to lunch for a coworker's birthday. I hadn't seen my boss, or any of my colleagues really, in several weeks, so it was going to be nice to see them. Since I was coming from a different part of the county than everyone else, I was a little late. Everyone was already seated when I arrived. As I walked up to the table, everyone gave an exclamation of greeting. My boss actually stood up (which is technically the right thing to do) and offered me kind of a side hug (both arms, but you're not necessarily looking at each other?). All I could think was "Weird. Have we ever actually hugged before? I don't think so . . . . Do people usually hug their bosses?"

But I survived, and I was even willing to hug him at our "New Year's" party last week. We're good now.

#2

Tonight, I met my friend, Jacob, at Arundel Mills (near Baltimore). He's in town on business, and we decided to go see a movie. I arrived about twenty minutes early, and needed to make a visit to the ladies room while I waited. The restrooms are within the area you had to have a ticket for, and since Jacob was treating, I didn't have one yet. I asked the kindly, older gentleman taking tickets if I could use the facilities. He pointed me in the right direction and asked to hold onto my cell phone (so I wouldn't just sneak into a movie). When I returned, I thanked him, and he handed my phone back to me. He said something I didn't hear, but I laughed courteously and was stepping away when he said "How about a hug?" and extended his arms. Now, note, this man is probably in his 70s and was still sitting down, which would put his head at about the level of my, er, you know. I obliged, and gave him a quick side, one armed hug, all the while debating if he was creepy or still just kind and old. I'll give him the latter, since he didn't say anything creepy or weird when Jacob and I came through with our tickets a short time later. Still, it was strange.

I did get a couple good "Beast" hugs though, and that's always nice.

So go hug someone! Preferably, someone you know . . . Extra points if it's me!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Awww, I love hugs too :) and i gave you that graphic!

AmandaStretch said...

And I thank you for it!

Epijunkiejen said...

Haha, I love awkward moments. I can't believe I missed free hug day. :( I'll remember to give you a hug the next time I see you. ;)