Friday, July 6, 2007

Independence Day in Washington, D.C.


I had the amazing opportunity to go into the District of Columbia last night to celebrate Independence Day. Security Boy and I metro'd into the city, set up a blanket on the lawn at the base of the Washington Monument, and watched fireworks. I had hoped to get in earlier to see some of the musical acts, but that unfortunately was not the case. The air was humid and the wind wasn't so kind on my hair, but the temperature was perfect and the sky was clear. It was a beautiful night. The fireworks were awesome - Security Boy and I had fun pointing out different shapes or particularly interesting explosions. We tried to wait out the crowds heading home by walking around the Mall a little, but we still made it home at a decent hour. (Who wants to work the day after the 4th? I certainly didn't.)




We are so blessed to live is in this wonderful country. We can do whatever we set our minds to, and have some many opportunities available to us. Our freedoms did come at a cost though, and I am so grateful for those who give their lives to obtain and preserve it. Both of my grandfathers served in the armed forces, and their example is one I definitely look up to. Thank you to our troops, past and present, and to anyone one else who strives to make this country one of the greatest!




Overall, I had a great holiday, and had some wonderful company to enjoy it with!


3 comments:

DeShawn said...

Who wants to work the day after the 4th? Certainly not I. So why in the world did I spend FOURTEEN HOURS at work yesterday?

I need another holiday.

AmandaStretch said...

Yeah. You're insane. Just so's ya know.

Nancy said...

That would be so cool to spend the fourth by the capitol!