Friday, October 28, 2011

And Wondering What Dress To Wear Now

OR Why Clothing Size Doesn't Really Matter

Today, I bought two super cute dresses - one a size 8, another a 10. After I tried them on, I put my size 13 pants and XL blouse back on.

If you hadn't read that just now, you wouldn't have known at all that I was wearing or trying on 4 differently sized things. All you would know (if you could see me, that is) is that I was wearing clothes that fit well, or even a little loosely if you were looking at the pants, and flatter my new, slimmer figure.

Clothing size is rather arbitrary. It depends on where you're shopping, the fabric, the cut, the style, and so on. Men have it relatively easy, since it's much more about measurements (neck circumference, shoulder width, waist size, inseam). Women come in a wider variety of shapes and sizes and so does their clothing.

And you know how celebrities are always wearing clothes that fit them perfectly? It's not because they have magically perfect bodies and all the money and time in the world to find the clothing that fits their perfect bodies. It's because they have everything tailored. Everything. They buy clothing that fits and flatters in their widest area, then have the rest tailored.

So don't worry if you're a size 4 or a 14 or a 24. Wear what fits and matches your personal style and you'll look amazing!

Here are some numbers that actually matter:

8 months and 1 week - how long I've gone without missing a workout
$22 - how much I spent on 2 new (to me) dresses
3 - how many more full pushups I can do compared to Cabeza, who is a boy
13 - days until I get to see my family
100 - lbs. of my own body weight I can pull-up 6 times in a row (I'm working up to my full body weight)
5 - seconds I can hold a frog stand, last I checked

Now, who wants to go swing dancing? I have the PERFECT new dress. . .


2 comments:

LeAnn said...

A very fun post and way to go. I stopped exercising for surgery in May and I just can't seem to get back in the grove. I have gained 5 pounds so I am not a happy camper. I am thinking I need to get back to it.
Blessings to you; it was inspiring!

Giggles said...

I much more enjoy making certain clothes than buying them because patterns are more by measurements and I can alter them as needed. Clothing sizes are really rather annoying.