Monday, August 29, 2011

I would be my brother's keeper

I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the Mormons. Each Sunday, I discuss some things related to my faith and what I believe. Regardless of your own beliefs, I hope this gives you a chance to get to know me and my religion a little better. For previous installments, click here.

As we have a lay ministry and it falls upon no one in our local congregations to serve the church and its members full-time, how do we care for each other and monitor one another's needs, especially in the event of things like hurricanes and earthquakes?

The answer is within the service of the Priesthood and its auxiliaries, including the Relief Society. Priesthood holders are called to home teach families and Relief Society sisters visit teach other sisters. Home and visiting teachers essentially have the same responsibilities - to teach and strengthen other members and form relationships of trust so that the families and individuals can call upon them in times of need. Those needs are reported to the Priesthood and Relief Society, who, in turn, report them to the bishop.

We each are called to be the eyes and ears of the bishop regarding the welfare of those he has a stewardship for, and, as necessary, his hands. My own home and visiting teachers have helped me with things as simple as extra prayers that I may get through trials or hanging a mirror on a door. In turn, I hope I've helped those I visit teach. It's just another way in which our church is connected individually and collectively, locally and globally. We truly care for each other.

We are also able to mobilize quickly to help neighbors not of our faith in times of disaster. The church is involved in humanitarian aid throughout the world. The membership of the church is encouraged to donate funds or material or participate in any way we can. Of course, as Christians, we are also encouraged to serve and help our neighbors in times of daily needs as well.

I hope that I always take the time to help and serve as I observe the needs of others. I know that I have not always done so, but I know that I can do better and resolve to do so.

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

My favorite posts are your Sunday ones. You always do an excellent job in writing about our faith.
Blessings to you!