Monday, February 21, 2011

I am a child of God

I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the Mormons. Each Sunday, I discuss some things related to my faith and what I believe. Regardless of your own beliefs, I hope this gives you a chance to get to know me and my religion a little better. For previous installments, click here.

We abelieve in bGod, the Eternal Father, and in His cSon, Jesus Christ, and in the dHoly Ghost. (AofF 1:1)

There is much discussion in the world about who God is. Or even what. Every major religion has some idea about the notion of God, from the divine within all of us to the Architect of all creation and Father of our souls.  Even The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy weighs in on the subject.

As Mormons, we believe that God is our Supreme Being, Creator, and Ruler. Most importantly, we believe that he is our Father, as we are literally His children, spiritually begotten in our pre-mortal lives.

As our Father, He loves us and is intimately acquainted with our lives, hopes, plans, talents, and everything else. He has given us His divine potential and desires that we return home to Him. He is the Author of the Plan of Salvation, which provides a path for us to do just that. We come to know Him through reading the scriptures, listening to His messengers, and following His word.

Personally, I am grateful to believe in a Heavenly Father who knows us, loves us, and cares for us. For me, it gives me comfort to feel that we aren't just here on Earth by random happenstance.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

gold star. what you say is true. He is our loving Father.

Heidi said...

I really like these posts, and not just because I believe the same things and you're my favorite; I also like them because you aren't acting as a mouthpiece for the church, but are, instead, voicing your testimony and citing church doctrine appropriately. Thank you.

LeAnn said...

I loved this post. I too am so greatful that I have a Heavenly Father that I can pray to and receive answers for my life while on this earth. I just can't even imagine what it would be like if we didn't have the love of our Savior and our Heavenly Father.
Blessings to you for your thoughts.
LeAnn