Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Let's set sail with Captain Morgan

What a wonderful Conference weekend! I was reminded that I have awesome friends, there's hope for the things in my life I want to change, and that Heavenly Father loves me! I also finally got out my embroidery again. At this rate, I'll finish this project sometime during the October 2010 General Conference. Sorry, Fran.

I was also reminded that I just can't be taken seriously when ordering drinks. Here's why:

Scene 1: In Orlando, after seeing the following drink only under non-alcoholic beverages, not to mention that it's the middle of the afternoon in a family friendly amusement park:

Me: Can I get a strawberry daquiri please?

Waiter: Can I see your ID?

Me: Oh, virgin please. I mean I'm old enough, but we're, uh, chaperoning high school kids. So, yeah.

Waiter: (skeptically) Okay.

Scene 2: In Adams Morgan, bar-hopping girl's night out during the Priesthood session:

Bartender: What can I get you ladies?

Me: Orange juice with Red Bull, please.

Smash: Can I get a Shirley Temple?

Reimsy: Just Red Bull.

False Cathedrals: Shirley Temple for me too.

Bartender: What, are you all pregnant or something?

All us girls: (awkward laughs)


Smash: No, we're just all the designated drivers.

They're always nice about it, but there's just a hint of disbelief in their voice about the situation, and explaining it turns into word vomit. At least in Adams Morgan, our drinks were free because someone claims to have seen a mouse. (Follow the link to read Smash's entertaining take on our night out.)

Maybe one day I'll figure out how to believably order a non-alcoholic mixed beverage, but maybe it's also a good thing that I can't. Also, the "screwdriver" I had is my new bar drink of choice. Quite tasty!

Thanks to my rockstar friends for a great weekend!

2 comments:

Smashie Smasherton said...

I look kind scary and deranged in that picture, like I'm going to start biting everyone with newly-grown vampire teeth or something.

AmandaStretch said...

Someone's been reading too much of the Twilight series . . .