Friday, November 8, 2013

Yes, I love technology but not as much as you, you see

Libraries and librarians have been around for thousands of years.
Possible ruins of the Library of Alexandria

I've only been working in them for about ten and a half.
My old desk at the Fine Arts Library


I still have lots to learn about being a good librarian, but I think I'm well on my way. One thing I know for sure is that my job would be a lot harder without the technology we have today.
Fine Arts Library

I used a card catalog as a kid. In first few months of the job at the Fine Arts Library (the one that I moved to the DC area for and ultimately lost last year, thanks the budget cuts), I filled out checkout forms in duplicate. I'd send one copy with the teacher and keep a copy for myself so I could check the materials back in. After that, until I finished the retrospective conversion, I kept checkout records in Word documents on my computer.
Trinity Washington University Library, where I worked earlier this year

It was obnoxious.
The reference desk at Trinity

Most libraries, at least in the United States, use computers now for their catalogs, patron records, circulation, and everything else. Everything is so much faster and records more thorough. It certainly isn't error proof, but I like it. A lot.
The library where I work now

Libraries and library technology are certainly blessings in my life and I'm glad to be a part of them!

1 comment:

Giggles said...

Woohoo for libraries!!