Monday, November 25, 2013

Children's voices, oh how sweet

I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the Mormons. When possible on Sundays, I discuss some things related to my faith and what I believe. With respect to your own beliefs, I hope this gives you a chance to get to know me and my religion a little better. For previous installments, click here.

A couple of years ago, I talked about some of my own memories as a child growing up in the Church. As I mentioned then, the children's ministry in our church is referred to as the Primary and is for children 18 months through age 11.

It's a wonderful organization and I'm grateful for the experiences I had when I was a part of it. The LDS Church has a great focus on the importance of the family and children are very welcome in our meetings. Being in single adult wards(congregations)  for more than ten years, I missed being around children and their sweet personalities.

Since marrying Blake, we've moved back into a family congregation and there are lots of children and, for the most part, it's wonderful to be around them. Today, for example, the Primary children came to the Relief Society (women's ministry) class and sang a Thanksgiving song to us. Of course, children will be children and they are often loud during the more reverent portions of our services or hurling their little bodies into the back of our pew. We also had no fewer than four children go rogue and run up onto the stand during Sacrament meeting (our communion service that's for the entire congregation at once) before their parents were able to catch up with them.

Still, we're glad to have them and all family members in our meetings and in our congregation. Blake and I realize that one day we'll have our own children to wrestle with at church, but we look forward to teaching them the gospel that has blessed our lives so much and building the habits that will help us create a strong and lasting family!

1 comment:

Giggles said...

Going rogue. I like that. Little Iddo has started "making comments" during Sunday School. For the most part she's still pretty good though.