Friday, November 29, 2013

Raise the song of harvest home

I have so much to be grateful for in my life. Things are going really well right now, and I'm so glad for that. I have a really good marriage, job, home, family, and that's just the big stuff.  I know life hasn't always been this good, and there will probably be rough times ahead again, but right now life is good.

One thing I've been grateful for today is that from 2006-2012 I always had somewhere to go for Thanksgiving since I couldn't go home. At least once I was with my aunt, but every other time has been with kind and generous friends who welcomed me into their homes and, at least for a day, into their families. Being a Thanksgiving refugee wasn't always my favorite thing, but I was always taken in somewhere. 

Today, however, I finally got to have Thanksgiving dinner with my family and even in my own home. I have a new baby family now and we had a wonderful newlywed Thanksgiving together, just the two of us. We made all the essentials (turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, and pie) and I finally cooked a turkey for the first time. Everything was delicious and we had a great time cooking it all together. 

I'm particularly pleased with my turkey and cherry pie, both things I've never made before. Blake said the pie was the prettiest pie he's ever seen and admitted he didn't usually eat pie crusts, but he liked this a lot. (I made a different crust for a different pie a few weeks ago, and he didn't eat all the crust.) I thought it was particularly appropriate for a newlywed Thanksgiving. 


The gorgeous and tasty turkey:

The whole spread:

It's been one of the best Thanksgivings I've ever had! I hope you have also had a great day. Here's to start of a wonderful holiday season!

1 comment:

Giggles said...

Way to go with the whole turkey! We only do a breast and put it in the slow cooker. Then we bet on which leftover will be gone first. Hooray for baby family holidays!