Friday, November 7, 2014

My body tells me no, but I won't quit 'cause I want more

When asked what they would change about their bodies, adults almost always have an answer. Children? They have a much healthier body image, but wouldn't mind a mermaid tail or shark teeth.

Sadly, I'm not sure I would have such a creative answer if someone asked me what I would change. However, rather than list what I would change about my body, I'd rather talk about why I'm grateful for it.

I can taste, feel, hear, smell, and see. Granted, the last one is enhanced by corrective lenses, but my eyes still work. 

I can move - I dance, walk, work, create, hug, cook, lift heavy things and put them back down again, and pretty much anything else I set my mind to.

My body is not perfect. I know there are people who can do more with their bodies than I can, and I know there are some who can do less. But my body works and it works well for what I want it to do. I am blessed by it, and I'm working hard to keep it in good condition. I exercise. I try to eat right most of the time. I've had corrective surgeries, worn braces, and always know where my glasses are. I will continue to do what I need to do, because I hope to keep my body around for a very long time.


3 comments:

Giggles said...

That's probably my favorite think I learned from learning to belly dance - that my body is incredible and it can do incredible things. We're the Incredibles!

AmandaStretch said...

Yes we are!

Heidi said...

I want a mermaid tail...