Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Just put one foot in front of the other

When I lived in London for a study abroad, I walked or took the Tube everywhere. LOTS of walking. And I didn't even think anything of it. It's what I had to do, I was in love with the city, and so I walked. 

I didn't seem to mind walking when I was headed somewhere, but I didn't make time to walk just to walk. 

And then we got Malcolm. Without a backyard to run around in, he needed to get out for lots of exercise if he wasn't going to be a terror in the apartment. So, we started walking. And walking more. And still more walks. 

Now, I love walking. Malcolm has helped me build up my stamina for longer and longer walks, and it's not unusual for us to walk at least 4 miles (with a stop at the dog park halfway). When we have time, and usually when Blake can join us, we'll go longer. Last Sunday, we parked two miles away from Mount Vernon, walked there, walked around, and walked back. 6.44 miles total and we all felt great after. Most weeks, we walk to the grocery store (about 1.5 miles away), Malcolm and Blake wait outside, I shop, we load up our backpacks and walk home. We like to go on Saturday mornings and pick up breakfast from the grocery store bakery. Today, I walked to my polling place.

With an interesting podcast (more on my favorites another day), good walking shoes, and the company of Malcolm, I'm good to go. Obviously, I'll trade the podcast for Blake whenever possible.

I love observing nature - we have some awesome trails in our neighborhood that almost seem like you're not even in the city. I love having time to think. I love the endorphins. I loves traveling under my own power.

In August, I walked over 100 miles. I've decided that in 2015, I plan to walk at least 1000 miles. Malcolm and Blake will be great helps in meeting my goal!

Hooray for walking!




8 comments:

Myrna said...

Amanda, what walking shoes do you use? I know that you have special shoes, or I think I know that. I sometimes have foot issues, but I love to walk, so I am hoping you can recommend good walking shoes. Yeah for walking!

Anne said...

This is terrific! I am sort of dreading the lack of walking that comes with winter in Michigan - Coraline can't handle longer walks when it's so cold out and I'm less likely to go out myself without her. Do you use a pedometer?

AmandaStretch said...

Myrna - Right now, I use a pair of Brooks Ghost 7. I got them at the recommendation of the staff at a running store, based on the way I walk and my activity of choice. I totally recommend going to a specialty running store to find good shoes for you. I also use custom orthotics from my podiatrist - if you have foot issues, I highly recommend talking to one.

Anne - *shudder* We aren't in MI, but it can get pretty darn cold here. We'll see what Malcolm does, but so far so good. I will keep wearing all my headgear you have made me! I currently use a couple of different tracking apps on my phone, but I don't feel like they always give me the most accurate of results. I'd like to pick up a basic pedometer (doesn't have to be fancy like a FitBit or anything) by the end of the year.

Anne said...

Thanks!

Giggles said...

I second getting a custom fit for shoes. Good shoes are worth the price.

I love my walking buddy. I've been real bummed that my exercise has been so curtailed the last two months and I miss getting out (which is why I overdid it today).

Our yearly mileage goal is 780, which averages to 15 a week, or 3 miles 5 times a week. But we don't walk for errands either.

Myrna said...

Thanks for the good advice!

AmandaStretch said...

You're both welcome!

Lisa - That is also a great goal!

Heidi said...

I need to walk more. I injured myself when I was in Japan and couldn't walk as much as I liked when I got home. That took some time to resolve, and then I got a job in retail where I walk all the time! Now I commute to a full-time job, but the girl I replaced told me that walking the length of one of the halls 7 times is equivalent to a mile. It smells of printing presses and binding machines, but it's not unpleasant, and the art on the walls is nice. If that's all I get during the day, I'll take it!