Monday, November 7, 2011

I like to look for rainbows, whenever there is rain

I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the Mormons. Each Sunday, I discuss some things related to my faith and what I believe. Regardless of your own beliefs, I hope this gives you a chance to get to know me and my religion a little better. For previous installments, click here.

This is the story of my baptism:

a.    How old were you?


I was baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints when I was 8 years old.

b.    Where were your baptized?


I was baptized in the font at the chapel of my ward in Beaumont, Texas.

c.    Who baptized you?


My father baptized me.


d.    Who confirmed you?


My grandfather - my mother's father - confirmed me a member and gave me the gift of the Holy Ghost during the regular church services the next day, Sunday.

e.    How did you feel about becoming a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?


I was so excited! I had been preparing, reading a book about baptism and church membership and completing the accompanying workbook with my parents, as well as doing the usual things like attending my church meetings and classes and reading scriptures with my family. In fact, I was so excited that I was bouncing on my toes a little in the font.

f.     Who attended your baptism?


I remember my immediate family was there - parents and siblings. My maternal grandparents came all the way from Washington state to attend. As a birthday and baptism gift, they presented with my very first set of scriptures and a case. I'm sure my Primary teachers and other church friends came. My best friend, whose birthday is 18 days before mine, was baptized the same day, so her family was there too. Another boy our age was baptized with us too.


It was a wonderful day. My mother braided my hair sideways ending in a bun on the left side. I wore the same dress she'd been baptized in. She'd also made my confirmation dress - a lovely white dress with three pink roses on the waist in the back. 


I remember feeling so happy that day. I knew I'd made a good choice, and I still know.

1 comment:

Giggles said...

I love that song the title comes from. There was a rainbow this morning for us.

I got a hair cut for my baptism. It was my one and only attempt at a pixie cut. I will never do that again.