Friday, May 22, 2009

Don't Stop Believin'

Stop. Click this link and then come back and read.



Did you notice Hugh Laurie? And John Malkovich? Both men are incredibly talented, but Mr. Malkovich has this way of disappearing into a role. If I hadn't known he was in this video, I might not have even realized it, and I pride myself on being able to recognize faces. There are some films he's been in that I know he's in and who he is playing and still don't even see him. I see his character. For instance, I recently caught The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on Sci-Fi and he plays Humma Kavula. I didn't remember until after the movie, and even then, I didn't quite believe it. That speaks highly of the quality of his work. When you're watching Brad Pitt, you still know it's Brad Pitt.

(P.S. HHGTG on Sci-Fi is heavily edited, and you miss several funny bits and important exposition points. I was disappointed, but it was better than no HHGTG at all.)

It was watching that movie that sparked this musing about Mr. Malkovich, but then I saw this video this week and not only continued to love his work, but I'm in love with this song, even if I am 17 years late in hearing it.

And since I skipped out on last week's SOTW, here's another one, from Fox's new show, Glee:



It's pretty much one of my favorite Journey songs ever, and I will admit to getting choked up when I watched this on Tuesday night. I am so looking forward to this show in the fall. And you should be too. Watch the pilot here. Watch it twice. You're welcome.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm so glad I introduced you to that song. I love Annie Lennox. And Hugh Laurie. But it VERY different ways. ;)

Jasmine said...

I have to admit, when I first saw the title of this post, I immediately thought of Glee. :) My husband was watching it while I listened in the other room (I was doing something else....don't remember what), and I think I like it already. It is a great version of a fabulous song. :)

Thanks for sharing the other music video (I love that song!). I wouldn't have noticed John Malcovich either if you hadn't mentioned him. Hugh Laury is one of my favorite actors. He's also one of those who gets "lost" (for lack of a better word) in his characters. You always know it's him because he has a very distinct look, but it's not like Brad Pitt. His versatility (not to mention his ability to manipulate his accent) astounds me.