Saturday, February 21, 2009

We can be heroes, just for one day

Yesterday was a pretty typical Thursday, plus a trip to the dentist and minus wings or The Office.

Everything was going swimmingly, and I was on track to be home for the evening by 10 PM, and in bed by 10:15 PM, if I had my druthers. I was mere minutes from home before I realized that my purse was not in the seat next to me.

Bother.

Knowing that it would take me at least 20 minutes to get back to the church and that no one would still be there by then, I pulled over and scrolled through my phone to see who I could call. I called one of my fellow Sop IIs and got the phone number for the secretary of the choir, Sis. Childs, who lives just a few blocks away from me. I called her home and talked to her husband, who took a message.

I went home and stressed.

I was hoping that they would find my purse, despite it being under a pew, find my wallet and discover that I lived close to Sis. Childs and give it to her so she would take it home for me and I would be reunited with it without having to wait to call a bishop in that building the next day or, worse, a week until the next choir practice.

As luck would have it, that's what happened.

Sis. Childs called me and I arrived on her doorstep shortly before 11 PM. Not only did she have my purse, but she invited me to join her and her husband for a bowl of ice cream. I happily accepted.

And that, my friends, is why Bro. and Sis. Childs are my current Heroes of the Day!

2 comments:

Giggles said...

If I lost my purse, would someone give me ice cream?

chosha said...

Gotta love a happy ending!