Sunday, January 27, 2008

Let the memory live again

Since music is such a big part of my life, it should be no surprise that I have many memories related to it. There are lots of songs that remind me of lots of occasions, both good and bad. For example, God Must Have Spent A Little More Time On You by N*Sync will always remind me of my 9th grade "he's-not-my-boyfriend". He wrote the lyrics on the Val-a-Gram he sent me for Valentine's Day. Butterfly by Crazy Town will always remind me of cruising around in my blue pickup with my best friend, Aubrey, in high school. I could go on for a while. Sometimes, I've had to stop listening to certain songs because of the memories they conjure. Also, I'm always surprised when I'm listening to something without memories attached and one comes rushing back. If I'm lucky, it's a pleasant memory.

I'm most surprised when a seemingly random object brings back something. If it's not something I care to remember, I get at least a little mad. This afternoon, I was at the grocery store picking up some last items for a dinner I hosted tonight, when I walked past a display of Cadbury's Creme Eggs. My first thought was one of rejoicing, as I quite like them. Then, I suddenly remembered someone I dated for a few weeks last March and how Cadbury's was one of the things that brought us together. Realizing that it will probably be a while, if ever, before Cadbury's Creme Eggs are just a special Easter candy I happen to love and nothing else, I was not happy. I was already cranky and this just added to it. It wasn't until I was leaving the store twenty minutes later that I remembered it was January and that the candies were out awfully early. (To add to my cranky day, I got to my car only to realize I had forgotten to purchase a rather crucial ingredient, so I had to go back to the store. Grr.)

Occasionally, I wish I could just erase certain memories, a la Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. In the end, however, that would just create more trouble than it's worth. Still.

What are some things that bring back random memories for you?

No comments: