Thursday, December 20, 2007

And I hate that I love you so

I hate my (roommate's) sewing machine. The piece that holds the spool of thread is weird, and with spools of thread I've been using, I can never tell how to position it. The bobbin randomly unwinds itself. The needle won't stay threaded. The tension is inconsistent. Everything can seem fine one minute and then completely unravel the next. For example, I was sewing a piece last night that (and I've timed it) should take me about five or six minutes. Something went wrong, and as I tried to fix it and resew, IT TOOK AT LEAST 20. I was not pleased.


I don't think that the sewing machine itself is out to get me, but it's certainly much cheaper and not as nice as my mother's machine that I love so dearly. I am quite glad, however, that I have access to a machine. I don't have a clue when my roommate bought it, but I was first one to take it out of the box and set it up several months ago. I'm still the only one who has ever used it. Despite the fact that it drives me absolutely crazy, I've been having a lot of fun the last few weeks designing and making several Christmas projects. (Pictures will not be posted for a while because not only did I not have a charged camera battery last night, but some gift recipients read this blog.)

For those who are receiving those gifts, please be kind. I did the best I could with the world's smallest rotary cutting mat, an evil sewing machine, and instructions that were weird. I had to completely scrap one project as a result, so no one's getting that.

Luckily, I had boxes for everything that I needed to ship, and everything was sewn, wrapped, and packaged by about 11:30 last night. I figured I'd run to the post office on my way to work, like everyone else was probably planning.

Then I remembered the 24 hour self-help kiosk and parcel drop at the post office about 3 minutes from my house. No one would be there at 11:45 at night! No lines! Brilliant! Sadly, the parcel drop was so full it wouldn't even open for me, but I did get everything stamped and ready to go, and it only took me a few minutes this morning to drop by again.

So I'm totally ready for Christmas! Except that I need to clean my house. And pack. And buy an international outlet adapter. And . . .

No comments: