Thursday, August 23, 2007

Back From Utah

I apologize for my recent and long absence. As most of you know, I was vacationing in Utah last week to see my family. I decided that it was more important to be with them than to blog about it. However, some people don't seem to agree, and I won't be online Thursday morning to entertain them over gchat, so I bring you the highlights of my trip.

Security Boy was flying back to CO for school, and found out that I was going home the same week, so we flew out together. Another guy from our ward was on the same set of flights to, so it was a fun little reunion. Our flights were uneventful, and I was able to help teach Security Boy some flirting skills. He got home from his mission 5 months ago and hasn't normalized quite yet. I hope my tutoring comes in handy as he starts school this week.

The fam was, of course, excited to see me.

Wednesday brought family time, shopping, friends, swimming, and Invader Zim.

Thursday, I went to my old workplace, the BYU Music and Dance Library and joined them for staff meeting. We toured Level 0, which somehow I'd never done before. Cooling and heating machinery isn't that exciting, but I learned some things about preservation and fire prevention/containment. I also enjoyed a really good lunch at a Utah only restaurant (Zupa's), that I'd been craving for weeks. The company wasn't half bad either.

The biggest highlight of my week was being able to go through the temple (Mt. Timpanogos) for the first time on Thursday night. It was absolutely wonderful. I felt so much peace, and am so grateful for the experience. My mom was my escort, and I was joined by my dad, some of my best friends, and my cousin. I missed my brother and grandparents, who are serving missions, but I knew they were thinking about me. It was just awesome.

Friday, my dad took Security Boy and I to the driving range. SB did much better than I. Then, SB, Fran, and I went to see "Hairspray". That evening, my sister hosted a party for me so that I could see friends I hadn't seen in ages. Several of them were able to come and we had such a good time catching up and hugging.

Saturday was the sealing of my aforementioned cousin Wendy, in the Logan temple. I learned or was reminded of the following:

1 - No chocolate fountains.

2 - Tell your family EXACTLY what you want them to do if you want their help. Don't expect them to read your mind.

3 - Better yet. Hire people instead and let your family enjoy the festivities.

4 - Temple sealings are really cool.

It was a really neat day, even if I was already exhausted from the rest of my week. There were a lot of short tempers with several family members that day, but I think we've all talked it out and there are no more hard feelings. Best of luck to Wendy and Rich!

Sunday was just relaxing and involved final visits, a great win against the parents in Pictionary, and a great visit to my home ward.

I flew back to DC Monday afternoon, and had just enough reading material to cover the trip. Overall, I was so glad to be home. I love my family and friends, and Utah. It's always good to remember they love me back too.

For those of you I was able to see - It was so good to see you! For those of you I didn't see, I missed you, but I'm sure I'll be back soon. In the meantime, I have a futon that would love to accomodate guests.
Hooray for Utah and the wonderful people who live there!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I'm glad you got home-there safely. We enjoyed seeing you home-here. :)