Friday, November 24, 2017

Oh. I- Ahahahaha oh, I thought, ohhh. What a hilarious misunderstanding.

Every time I go to Kamakura, a town nearby that is just old and small and traditional enough to be popular for day-tripping Japanese people from Tokyo and that we also love, I feel like I can assess how I'm doing with my cultural assimilation and language acquisition. It was the first place we visited off-base after we arrived and were incredibly overwhelmed and so tired. So as much as we loved it, a lot of it was one big blur at the time. When I went back for my second visit, it went a whole lot better, and every time I've gone back I can measure against previous experiences.

Today was no different. We went to Kamakura and went to the same yakiniku place we went to the first time and we both felt a lot more confident about the situation today. It's our favorite yakiniku restaurant so far, so we will be taking any visitors here.

Then, we went to a store we like for Christmas gifts and I handled the conversation in more Japanese than English than last year and I even wrote the names for the orders in Japanese!
Totally copied this from a note I'd put together while we were on a train, and I definitely need practice, but I still feel really good about this - even if the woman at the shop ultimately corrected how I spelled the fourth name. She understood it all, and that's a win!

Unfortunately, things went a little downhill from there. While we waited for our order at the other shop, we went to a nearby cafe that does really impressive latte art. Much of the art is Disney-themed from what I've seen of friends' visits, the cafe is charmingly decorated, and the music playing was delightful jazzy piano covers of Disney songs.  I ordered Blake's hot chocolate to be decorated with Stitch and my hot caramel milk with Mount Fuji. The waitress confirmed our orders and with a "kashikomarishita" ("of course") was off. Several minutes later (good latte art takes time), Blake's adorable Stitch drink came, followed some minutes later by mine, which wasn't exactly what I expected.

It was super well-done, whatever it was. So, while we sipped our tasty drinks, I read the receipt, which was all in katakana, and tried to decipher what she thought I'd ordered.

What I thought I'd asked for:
フジサン
Fuji-san
Took this photo from Zushi Beach after Typhoon Lan cleared out.

What I got:
フリーザ
Furiiza

Still impressed

Turns out she thought I'd asked for a Dragon Ball character named Frieza, a thing I did not know existed before this afternoon. But now I do! It was an understandable and amusing misunderstanding. Among our friends there is a phrase for the things that get misunderstood by any party or problems on trains or at stores or just the challenges of life in this country - Japan Tax. This was definitely a Japan Tax situation. I'll just have to try this cafe again, and ask for Mount Fuji in English instead. 

It was a lovely afternoon in one of our favorite places, and then we came home for naps and second Thanksgiving, which was also lovely. I do love our little adventures and Blake's extra days off. 

4 comments:

Nancy said...

That Stitch drink really is adorable!

And good work on your Japanese! That's impressive!

Happy Thanksgiving!

AmandaStretch said...

Thanks Nancy! Happy (late) Thanksgiving to you!

Giggles said...

How do they even do that with a drink?

I need some hot chocolate, and some weather appropriate for drinking it in.

AmandaStretch said...

Food coloring and foam? Otherwise, I do not know!