Monday, August 15, 2011

I'm trying to be like Jesus

I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the Mormons. Each Sunday, I discuss some things related to my faith and what I believe. Regardless of your own beliefs, I hope this gives you a chance to get to know me and my religion a little better. For previous installments, click here.

I once discussed that Mormons are indeed Christians in that our worship, preaching, and rejoicings are Christ-centered. But how exactly do we do that?

By living a Christ-like life, developing the attributes He espoused, and becoming like Him. My favorite summary of this lifestyle is found in the 13th Article of Faith:

 13 aWe believe in being bhonest, true, cchastedbenevolent, virtuous, and in doing egood to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we fhope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able togendure all things. If there is anything hvirtuousilovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

There's also a really good discussion about it in the Preach My Gospel manual.

In short, to be like Christ, we must strive to have faith, hope, charity and love, virtue, knowledge, patience, humility, diligence, and obedience. Our meetings, services, and relationships focus on these things with the hope that we may one day be even a diligent fraction of the kind of person Jesus Christ was. We hear that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", but as it suggests perfection and matching them, I'd prefer to use "emulation" in our devotion to be like the Savior to truly worship Him.

I know I have a long way to go, but, to my benefit, not only do I have great example to live up to, I believe that He is also my greatest cheerleader in encouraging me in the process. With Him, I can truly do anything.

No comments: