Monday, November 29, 2010

I Believe in Christ

In case you don't already know, I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the Mormons. Each Sunday in November, as part of NaBloPoMo, I'm going to discuss some things related to my faith and what I believe. Regardless of your own beliefs, I hope this gives you a chance to get to know me and my religion a little better.

There has been some confusion about whether Mormons are Christians or not. Let's clear that up, shall we?

We are Christians.

I am a Christian.

I believe in Jesus Christ and in His role as our Savior and Redeemer.

“And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins” (2 Nephi 25:23, 26).

It's in our name - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

I believe that He was born, the Only Begotten of the Father, to live a perfect and sinless life, only to atone and be crucified for our sins. I believe that He was resurrected so that we all, everyone who has ever lived, will also be resurrected and live again, forever, with our Father in Heaven (and our families).
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful,Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. (Isaiah 9:6)
We don't have crosses on or in our churches, and don't wear crosses around our necks, though it is the traditional symbol of Christianity. This is because we choose to celebrate the Living Christ, as He is now. Instead of the cross, the symbol of our faith is our members and their lives.

Jesus Christ is the very foundation of our church and our faith in Him is the reason for everything we do.

So yes, Mormons are Christian.

I am a Christian.

3 comments:

Laylabean said...

I really like these Sunday posts you've started doing and this one is no exception. Great post!

Anonymous said...

A former coworker of mine was Mormon and people used to accuse her of not being Christian all the time. It was cruel and it hurt her deeply. It was also totally unnecessary.

Giggles said...

I love the song I Believe in Christ. I love it's simplicity and directness.