Monday, May 30, 2011

Tell Me the Stories of Jesus

I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the Mormons. Each Sunday, I discuss some things related to my faith and what I believe. Regardless of your own beliefs, I hope this gives you a chance to get to know me and my religion a little better. For previous installments, click here.


Last week, Emily asked:

Do you have any book recs that are not too intellectual and in modern language. Basically something easy to read. I have the Book of Mormon but it's not easy for me to read. Maybe a young adult type book?
I want to learn more, but all the books I pick out are way over my head.
Honestly, the best way to learn about the Book of Mormon is to read it. However, I totally understand that, well, sometimes it's not easy to understand. My first suggestion would be to read the Book of Mormon Study Guide published by the church for their Institute of Religion classes, in conjunction with the Book of Mormon itself. You can order a hard copy or read it online. In fact, all the study manuals can be found online, or in the Church's official iPhone app.

Other companion books that might help are Christ and the New Covenant by Jeffrey R. Holland or Unlocking the Book of Mormon by Pinegar, Ludlow, and Allen. Thanks to Eilonwy and Mr. Eilonwy for the suggestions!

Emily - I hope this helps! Thank you for the question!

3 comments:

Giggles said...

One of the interesting things to me was that it was when I was first learning Portuguese and reading the Book of Mormon that I finally understood one of the verses.

I kept thinking "twine" was misspelled in Isaiah where it says "twain." It wasn't until I was reading it in Portuguese that I realized "twain" is an old way of saying "two."

The language of the scriptures can be daunting. But it becomes beautiful as you become familiar with it.

Emmaleigh504 said...

Thank you!

LeAnn said...

Thanks for sharing the links; you do a great job of being a blog missionary
Blessings to you!