Monday, January 10, 2011

Faith is knowing the sun will rise

I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the Mormons. Each Sunday, I discuss some things related to my faith and what I believe. Regardless of your own beliefs, I hope this gives you a chance to get to know me and my religion a little better. For previous installments, click here.

We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost. (Articles of Faith 1:4)


First, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ

What is faith?

The apostle Paul said, to the Hebrews: Now, faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1)

My favorite definition is from the Book of Mormon prophet, Alma, who said: faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true. (Alma 32:21)

Not to have a perfect knowledge of things

We're not expected to know every aspect of the Gospel, but learning of the principles and then acting on them with faith is how we come to know whether or not they are true.

Faith is like the wind. Or even love. We can't see it, but we can see its effects and power in our lives and know that it's there.  We can even harness its energy and use it to our benefit.

Also like love, it's more of a verb than a noun. It requires choice and action to be most effective.

I, for one, choose to believe.  I hope that I'm right, but even if I'm not, it's a good way to live.

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts today. I believe as you! I will look forward to reading more inspiring posts from you.
Blessings to you! LeAnn
Here is my link: Living Waters
http://lgwilliams.blogspot.com