My family of origin has several enjoyable traditions - some for everyday, some for special days, some just because. Now that I have a baby family of my own, Blake and I have been negotiating our own traditions by bringing some from each of our families or personal traditions, as well as creating our own. We both have a few we can't do yet, generally related to kids, and probably some to discover along the way. I know I look forward to that. For now, here is a list of traditions we currently enjoy as a family.
New Year's Eve
New Year's Eve
- Something to toast the New Year like Martinelli's sparkling cider or ginger brew egg nog ice cream floats
- Ham and scalloped potatoes for dinner
- Spook burgers and bones and blood for dinner on Halloween (We'll add witches brew - a beverage with dry ice - once we remember to pick up dry ice before everyone else does.)
- Mummy dogs for dinner on a Halloween adjacent day
- Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade (at least the Broadway musical performances)
- Full Thanksgiving spread, even for just the two of us
- Attend the temple the day after Thanksgiving
- Decorations go up on the first Sunday of December, during the First Presidency Christmas Devotional, whilst drinking hot chocolate
- Must watch during the Christmas season or last quarter of the year - Muppet Christmas Carol; The Nightmare Before Christmas; Love, Actually (usually just me); Borrowed Hearts (with Sisterface, in person if possible)
- Pizza for Christmas Eve dinner - This is a tradition of Blake's family, but we'll be with my family this year. We're going to suggest it. This post might be their first knowledge of this suggestion.
- Others depending on which family we are celebrating with - We have yet to spend a Christmas as just us, so we'll see what sticks when we do.
- Birthday dinner of birthday person's choice, usually cooked by the spouse - For Blake it's manicotti. Me? I change it up.
- Blake gets the last kiss as I leave for work, or vice versa if he leaves without me. If I pet Malcolm on my way out, I make a point of kissing Blake one more time. We'll extend this to children first, spouse last when the time comes.
- Wake up and go to bed together
- Whoever fixes their toothbrush first fixes the other's as well
- Bedtime routine - personal prayer, couple prayer, couple's journal (a Q&A couple's journal from Fran), scriptures, round of Plants V. Zombies Pinata Party, lights out.
- Skype every night if one of us is traveling
- Saying "John Paul Jones" before we embark on anything we deem adventurous
- Breakfast picnic of bakery muffins and fruit if our weekly grocery walk takes place on Saturday morning
- McDonald's for breakfast when embarking on a road trip
- Sonic stop if we're passing one
- Whenever I make pancakes, I make the last one into a heart for Blake