Monday, February 7, 2011

Do What Is Right


I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the Mormons. Each Sunday, I discuss some things related to my faith and what I believe. Regardless of your own beliefs, I hope this gives you a chance to get to know me and my religion a little better. For previous installments, click here.

We believe in being asubject to bkings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in cobeying, honoring, and sustaining the dlaw. (Article of Faith 12)

The events in Egypt have been weighing on my mind everyday since January 25th, especially since I was just there last year. There's not much more I can personally do than pray and hope for the best, but, incidentally, I've been wearing my scarab necklace since the 23rd. I've kept in on as a sign of solidarity.

So, what does that have to do with Mormonism?

While we follow the laws of God first and foremost, we also believe in following the laws of the land.

“We believe that governments were instituted of God for the benefit of man; and that he holds men accountable for their acts in relation to them, both in making laws and administering them, for the good and safety of society." (D&C 134:1)

We are also encouraged to support our government and country by participating civilly and politically and even in the armed forces if we so choose. And in situations like Egypt where there is open rebellion against the current government? We're free to use our own judgment, just like when we choose political parties.

"We believe that no government can exist in apeace, except such laws are framed and held inviolate as will secure to each individual the bfree exercise of cconscience, the right and control of property, and the dprotection of life." (D&C 134:2)

When the laws and government no longer uphold that standard? It's time for a change.

Laws are truly there to protect our rights and freedoms and to allow others the same privilege. It is our duty as citizens of the world to follow them.

2 comments:

Giggles said...

Going to a place always makes it more real. I'm watching Egypt with a breaking heart, I can only imagine it's more so for you right now.

Wonderful post.

Myrna said...

I agree. Wonderful post.