Sunday, September 14, 2008

That don't impress me much

Going to the salon is always good for dishing dirt, reading gossip rags, and, of course, getting a (hopefully) excellent hair cut, all of which I did this last Thursday. It's also super useful for eavesdropping on other people's gossip sessions.

This time I got to listen in on a conversation about dating between a male stylist and his male client (surprisingly, the stylist was the straight one). I enjoyed discovering that the guys talk about dating the exact same way we girls do. There were some statements made loud enough for me to hear, and a couple times where the blowdryer was left on and the client had his stylist stand in front of him so they could discuss more discreetly.

I was quite entertained, but also learned/was reminded of something. The thing I was able to glean from their conversation was that guys, once they ask us out, want to be impressed. The stylist had recently met his date at a riverside restaurant, overlooking the Potomac, and she showed up in jeans and flip-flops. He wished that she had put a little more effort into her appearance, because, like it or not, clothes really do make an impression on those who see you. My stylist and I agreed that jeans are okay, but with heels maybe, instead of ratty flip-flops.

Personally, I totally agree. I had a blind date with a guy last week, where we met at a mall for dinner and a comedy show. Sure, it was a casual place and activity, but I still wore a nice top, slacks, and heels. My date was not dressed to impress. (He also hasn't called me all week, but that's beside the point.)

The moral the story? Guys and girls need to dress to impress. Look your best (appropriate to the occasion) and you'll be remembered for it. An alternate title to this post could have been "Every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man", because, by golly, it's true.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

As you know, my approval rating for flip-flops is usually about 3%. And I agree completely about putting a little effort into your appearance! Oy. If people could just figure this out, the world would be a better place.

Giggles said...

And nobody would need to spray with lysol after you leave. ;)

Those who think appearance doesn't matter are just kidding themselves.

Besides, putting a little effort into your appearance is fun.