Thursday, September 18, 2008

Desperado, why don't you come to your senses?

In my offices (did I mention that I have jurisdiction over three?), I have some 4 file cabinets/sets of drawers and 5 desks, all with many drawers/cabinets/nooks/crannies/places to hide things. They weren't really cleaned out when I moved in and I've been trying to clean them out and organize them as I go. I pretty much my actual desk under control (in that I know what everything is and am no longer surprised), but the rest of the place still needs work. Some of the drawers contain things that might be important (archival checkout records, catalogues, directories, etc.). Others, I find many fun and interesting things in all the time.

Today, I finished up a receipt book and went to look in one of my cabinets for another, knowing there were several in there at one point. I find and pull out their box, realize I've used all the receipt books now, and just before I put the box back in to decide another day if I want to keep all these old books, I see the following in the back of the cabinet.

To Use Only In Desperation, eh? My predecessor labeled lots of things, and I've come to associate her handwriting with well-meaning craziness. Today was no different. What would I find? A secret stash of alcohol? Chocolate? A gun!? What qualified as "desperation" for this woman?

I decided to find out.

Magnetic card holders? Boring! What kind of desperate act requires magnets? Would she have pinned these to her husband's clothes and stuck him to a cabinet? Who knows!?

If you have any ideas, please let me know. Even the mysterious around here are tedious, and I have to decide what to do about my lack of receipts now.

2 comments:

Giggles said...

Well now that's a kind of desperate I doubt I've ever experienced.

Maybe, maybe she was worried that people would have information about her on their computers that they could blackmail her with, and so she kept a box of small indiscreet magnets on hand in case she needed to quietly stick them to people's computers, thus erasing their files and any evidence of her wild living?

Katie said...

I am voting for altering the magnetic pull of the earth. Therefore bringing down civilization, which, of course, could only be saved by a librarian, who else knows where all the manuals are. Take that Google and Wikipedia.