Monday, March 7, 2011

Because I Have Been Given Much

I'm a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also known as the Mormons. Each Sunday, I discuss some things related to my faith and what I believe. Regardless of your own beliefs, I hope this gives you a chance to get to know me and my religion a little better. For previous installments, click here.
 

Today is the first Sabbath of the month. Traditionally, the first Sabbath is reserved as a day of fasting and prayer. Fasting is voluntarily going without food or drink for a specific period of time (usually 24 hours or two consecutive meals). Fasting combined with prayer provides a greater opportunity for spiritual growth and a closer relationship with God.

On Fast Sunday, a proper fast also includes church attendance, where the main worship service is a testimony meeting where all are invited to share their beliefs with each other, and a fast offering, or donation equal or greater to the cost of the uneaten meals to help care for those in need.

Additionally, we are encouraged to fast for a specific purpose, more than just showing our devotion to God and willingness to sacrifice. That specific purpose might be a prayer for the healing of the sick, an answer to a question, or a prayer for guidance. It's entirely up to the person fasting and kept personal, though sometimes friends or family may request that others pray and fast for something they need. Fasting isn't just reserved for Fast Sundays, but can be on any other day according to our needs or the needs of others.

It's certainly not easy. Anyone who reads this blog for any length of time knows I like food. Today, in particular, has been challenging since I've been awake since 5 AM and I would have really enjoyed a nice, leisurely breakfast long before now. However, I feel that it is worth it. I've felt the Spirit in my fasts and seen answers to prayers come because of them.

For more on fasting, click here.

1 comment:

LeAnn said...

You have such an awesome missionary blog. I love your testimony of fasting and the purposes for fast and testimony meeting.
Thanks for sharing this lovely post.
Blessings to you! LeAnn