Tuesday, August 24, 2010

There'll be joy in the morning!

I love lists.

To-do lists, shopping lists, packing lists, this list of lists.

There's something satisfying about writing out a list and then checking it off. Actually, not so much checking it off as much as crossing it out with a big black marker. If I still had my to-do lists from college, that's exactly how they looked - handwritten lists on whatever paper I could find with big, black marks completely obliterating the task underneath.

These days, without classes and homework to keep track of on top of work, I'm not making as many lists. I also have so much more free time than I'm used to (I know, I graduated a year ago, but I'm still not completely accustomed to it), but that doesn't mean I'm accomplishing more. I'm hesitant to start any classes, huge projects, or theatrical endeavors because of the job hunt, but I still have all this personal time I could be doing a lot more with (and writing cover letters ALL the time does not make me very happy).

I just had to figure out my priorities and "schedule" my time accordingly.

My priorities these days can be summed up into four categories:

  1. Come closer to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ
  2. Build strong and successful relationships with my friends and family
  3. Become the best me I can be
  4. Be happy

Now, I've seen "life lists" and "bucket lists" and there are all sorts of things I know should do, but those are always daunting. If I'm supposed to do everything, I'll never feel like I get anything done.

So, when Eilonwy and I stumbled on this feel good list from a woman who started it as part of her depression therapy, I fell in love. I was inspired. And for my own personal Family Home Evening,I even started with a prayer, I designed a joy list of my own.

(click to enlarge)

Everything on my joy list falls under one of my priority categories, and all of them fall under "Be happy". It leaves plenty of room for the other necessities in life (groceries, laundry, cover letters), but ensures I'll make time each week for the things that are truly important. As necessary, I'll edit it from time to time (as soon as I get an apartment with a bathtub, take a bubble bath is going on the a la carte menu).

Here's to a happier life!

What would you put on your joy list?

6 comments:

Nancy said...

That's kind of like Northridge Stake's 2x4 plan:

Every day: Read scriptures and pray
Every week: Attend sacrament meeting and have FHE
Every month: Attend temple and fast
Every year: Read the Book of Mormon and attend tithing settlement

I like your list, too, though. :) It's funny the things we neglect to do, sometimes, like laugh...something so simple can make us so happy but we just forget to do it.

Thanks!

Giggles said...

I'm a list person too. Love my lists.

I didn't print my list this week. But looking back on it I did pretty well. I didn't get as many fruits/veggies as I would've liked. And I didn't get 10 of the optional ones in. But having my list in the back of my mind did make a difference this week. I'll keep at it and see what happens.

LeAnn said...

This was the first time I have been on your blog. I am an older sister in the gospel; but I have been struggling with a lot of things recently and one of them has been praying to prioritize my time better.
You thought and list are an answer to my prayer.
I also have a blog that you might be interested in looking at.
It's called Living Waters; here is the link.

http://lgwilliams.blogspot.com/
Blessings to you!

Becky @ Project Domestication said...

Amanda! I love your list.

This came at the perfect time for me. I've been thinking a lot about how I prioritize my free time. I agree, it does get harder as you get older.

I love that this focuses on just doing things that make you happy and taking the time to do it.

I think I'll make my own little list.

Thanks for sharing!

Hilary said...

Yay!
I have EVERYTHING I need to do in my phone. Maybe I should add a few more. Other than cleaning the toilet, the sink, the 550 books my baby just pulled off the shelf... you get the picture. :)

Jocelyn Robertson said...

What a beautiful way to structure your day. It's so important to focus on what brings us joy. :)