- I forgot my left orthotic at home. Considering I've been wearing these all my life, I'm rather amazed that I managed to overlook its absence until I was in the car. Initially, I was all systems go about it, but after about a mile, I could really tell that something was off. Now, my left leg hurts significantly more than my right.
- No iPod. Stupid race rules that I didn't break and everyone else did.
- Really lame music over the PA system coming down the home stretch. I'm sorry, but "Runnin' on Empty" and "I Will Survive" aren't exactly motivating.
- A jerk of a race commentator. As we listened to him making comments during the kids 1K Fun Run, I noted that I really hoped he wasn't there when I came through the end. He was, but I was glad he didn't make any comments specifically to me. I did however, hear these gems:
- "This guy looks like a football linebacker, but here he is coming through the finish line in under 40 minutes."
- "That looks more like a leisurely jog to me." (Ain't nothing leisurely about it. I'd like to see you try it.)
- "It's one thing to be out here when you weigh 140; it's totally another if you weigh more." (Honestly, if this had been about me, I might have smacked him. I wanted to anyway.)
- Not from him, but from some smug teenage boys acting as spotters "You can run faster than that!" I actually responded by pointing to braces on my both my ankles and said "Look at these and tell me to run faster." They both winced, but I don't know how much it helped.
Sunday, April 20, 2008
Runnin' on Empty
Today was a beautiful day for a race, especially one where I came in under my last time and have a new personal best! It's not a huge margin, but by golly, I'm still proud of myself. I'm especially pleased, because I had several things going against me in this race.