Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I've been through the desert on a horse with no name




As I’m writing this, I’m on my third flight in 10 hours, 5th in 72. I am quite the little jetsetter. I even have the foursquare badge that says so! Unfortunately, that title comes with a price, as it’s 8 in the morning Eastern Daylight Time, I barely dozed on my 3.5 hour flight, and I have to work today.

But you know what?

Worth it.

I spent this weekend visiting Eilonwy and Mr. Eilonwy in Tucson, AZ, and it was glorious. Wide expanses of desert sky, open terrain surrounded by majestic mountains, and cactus everywhere you look. I love the trees and buildings of DC, but it’s refreshing to be in a place I can look around for miles.
The company wasn’t half bad either. They were going to have a sign for me at the airport, but I got there first. I was also impressed by the Guest Information they left for me - just like at a fancy hotel!
Saturday, we toured the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. I’d forgotten there were so many types of cactus! We also saw a wide variety of desert animal life – my favorites were the hummingbirds, mountain lions (Go Cougars!), and javelinas.



I also got to take home a saguaro cactus of my own. Meet Steve, Stefán if he’s feeling suave.

Monday, our adventures took us to the Catalina Mountains, just driving to see what happened. It was awesome.





I learned that Tucson is an Indian word meaning “at the foot of the black rock.”



The rest of the weekend was spent relaxing – reading books, playing games, naps, cheering for our BYU Cougars against UW, eating at Beyond Bread, exploring Bookmans (best used bookstore ever, yes I bought 4 books), and enjoying our brief time together.

I especially enjoyed getting to know Mr. Eilonwy better. He’s a good match for my Eilonwy.


Our time was short, but it was a wonderful weekend!

(Photo credits - myself and Eilonwy)

4 comments:

Bridget said...

Yay Tucson! Glad you had fun.

LeAnn said...

This is only the 2nd time in on your blog. I really enjoyed the beautiful pictures of the deseret. They were book worthy. Thanks for sharing the beauty of our earth.
Blessings to you!

Giggles said...

We take people out to the desert, but we don't leave 'em there for the buzzards to find. We're good hosts like that. ;)

The other half says:
"'Mr. Eilonwy...' Has a ring to it I suppose."

AmandaStretch said...

Bridget - Thanks! Me too!

Leann - Thank you! I hope you continue to drop by. :)

Giggles - I appreciate that you didn't leave me for the buzzards, very much.