Thursday, July 29, 2010

Oh Julian, I thought I told you this, but I guess I was wrong

It seems I completely forgot to share a song with you that I discovered last month. And by discovered, I mean was told about by Brotherface.

The band? Foxy Shazam, a name chosen by the lead singer, Eric Sean Nally, because it was a phrase used in his high school to say "cool shoes."

Seriously.

I'll also let him describe the band's sound for you:

"When I listen to a Foxy Shazam record I think of Evel Knievel, Bruce Springsteen, my childhood, Van Morrison, my old friends from high school I don't talk to anymore, Elton John, the '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s, and beyond, Iggy Pop and my first kiss. One of my favorite things to do when listening to my music is to close my eyes and picture a crowd of six million people all chanting "Foxy! Foxy! Foxy!" The lights go out and my band walks on stage. It gives me goose bumps. It all makes sense to me. When you listen to our record, think of your favorite things and it'll make sense to you as well. Foxy Shazam is not concerned with what category it falls into. We want to stand for our generation. We want to be the biggest band in the world. We are the Michael Jordan of Rock N' Roll."


Oddly enough, it does make sense.

I loved the song. I bought their albums immediately. And I fell more in love every time. The music videos just add a whole new dimension of awesome. Not only do I want to see this band live, I want to be IN the band. Or any band that has that much fun on stage.

The tragedy is that Foxy Shazam came to DC in July.

On a Sunday.

And I just couldn't justify going.

So, I listen to their albums. Watch the videos. And pray that they'll come back soon.

I will add a language warning for the first song. Just so you're aware. It's also cool, because Julian is actually his son, which makes the wins of bands who sing really good songs to the lead singer's son named Julian 2 for 2. The second song is clean, and still gives you a good idea of this band's talent.



No comments: